Monday, August 22, 2011

Cool Receipe of Vegan Corn Muffins

As I said before, I'm a big fan of breakfast. When I was little, I lived with a large bakery, Le Boulanger. My family and I would go on a weekend morning and eat breakfast together before our day of adventures. The place was always packed with families, cyclists from their early morning runs, and swinging through the neighbors while their dogs. My mother and I always have the double chocolate muffin (it's like cake for breakfast!) And my dad always had a corn muffin and a large cup of coffee. I've never understood why anyone would pick corn as they could have chocolate.

I assumed it was a cultural thing, the corn muffin is the official muffin in his home country, Massachusetts (I bet you did not know states had official muffins addition, California poppy seed muffin). Driven by curiosity about this paternal weaknesses, I have tried corn muffin one morning. And I loved it! From that moment I was on Team Corn Muffin and I have tried many more since then. I like ones like this, because on the small side for muffins. To prepare a big breakfast, and it is perfect with your cup of tea. With jam, non-dairy butter, or plain, these muffins a light crumbly texture, and many of the pieces of whole corn. Make them and bring them to the office, or surprise a friend. You can even throw them in the freezer and heat them later for unexpected guests or a lazy Sunday morning.

1 / 2 cup coarse yellow cornmeal (polenta example)
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup non-dairy milk
1 1 / 2 tsp Ener-G egg milk
2 tablespoons water
2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
3 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 / 2 teaspoon baking powder
1 / 3 cup non-dairy butter
1 1 / 2 cup whole corn kernels (canned or frozen)

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Prepare your muffin tins with paper cups or lightly grease them. Melt the butter and let cool. Combine cornmeal, 1 / 2 teaspoon salt and milk in a small bowl and let sit for 15 minutes. Meanwhile mix the egg milk replacer and water until thick and creamy. Mix flour, sugar, remaining salt, baking powder and baking soda in a medium bowl. Add the cooled, melted butter and egg mixture to the cornmeal and stir. Add to dry ingredients. Add the corn kernels and stir. Spoon the mixture into muffin tins about 3 / 4 full. Bake for 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment