Thursday, July 14, 2011

Great recipe on Strawberry Champagne Cake

For Easter, I want a spectacular treat for my guests, and after careful consideration I decided to make a strawberry champagne cake. I thought it was perfect for two reasons. First, not a long winter full of fresh berries. The store their shelves complete with lush, ripe berries, and I want to! Second, I thought the strawberries mixed with champagne, the perfect festive cake to eat, when I saw Prince William and Kate were married princess. Yes, I woke up at 4:00 to watch the fun, and yes, I eat strawberry champagne cake for 8 hours! I was planning on having a beautiful rose colored glasses of champagne in my strawberry flavored cake, but alas, I could not make myself so early in the day.

Still, I searched online and found a recipe that looked pretty good. And then I made it out by adding my own special touches. I also have a favorite buttercream frosting recipe I always use, and I used it for the cake, and added an extra tasty ingredients. There is much debate when it comes to changing a recipe - some for and some against. I think it's important to keep your liquids into the dry ingredients almost like asking for the recipe. But when it comes to adding fresh fruit, chocolate, nuts, I say knock yourself out! Eyeball, make sure it looks good (smell), and go to town. These little touches really spectacular recipe.

For the cake even more special, I decided to ganache and fresh strawberries to add to the center rather than just the strawberry buttercream frosting. It's a good idea in theory, but I do not recommend the use of fresh fruit in a cake. I went with the flow outlet is my cake, and I had a very sticky puddle on my pie dish. Sugar frosting brings in fresh fruit juices. If you plan on using fresh berries (like me) I would recommend a strawberry (or other fruit or berry) sauce. In this way you can still fresh ingredients, with no sticky mess.

The cake is a hit! My family loved it, and my uncle even said it was his next birthday (what a compliment!) His. I think of all the desserts I made, this is a fan favorite.

Strawberry champagne cake:

1 cup (2 sticks) butter
2 cups sugar
2 eggs

3 cups cake flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon salt

½ cup champagne
½ cup pureed strawberries

1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 ½ cups chopped fresh strawberries

4 eggs whites

Butter and sugar until light and smooth. Add eggs and mix until fully incorporated.

In a separate bowl combine Sift flour, baking powder and salt. In a bowl combine the juice and champagne. Alternate adding the flour and the strawberry mixture into butter mixture. Start and end with flour for a soft cake. Add vanilla. Add the strawberries, mix until just incorporated. Fold half the egg whites, fold the other.

I want to grab a piping bag to fill cupcake tins. Batter should be slightly more than ¾ of the can.

Bake at 350 for 35 minutes.

Strawberry Buttercream Frosting

1 cup butter
1 package (£ 2) powdered sugar
Stack 1 / 3 cup pureed strawberries
1 teaspoon vanilla
chocolate for decoration

Beat butter until light and fluffy. With continued mixing, add a bit of powdered sugar (add a little of the strawberry puree because it is too thick). Keep adding sugar in small increments until fully blended with butter. Add rest of strawberry puree and vanilla. If glaze is still thick, add some champagne! Add chocolate shavings on top of the frosted cupcake for a crazy treat

No comments:

Post a Comment